For more than 40 years, the American Cancer Society has hosted the Great American Smokeout on the third Thursday of November. This year, the Great American Smokeout is Thursday, November 15, 2018.
If you smoke, stop smoking for 24 hours on November 15th. Make this next step in your quit journey.
The Great American Smokeout (GASO) also provides an opportunity for individuals, community groups, businesses, health care providers, and others to encourage people to use the date to make a plan to quit, or plan in advance and start a smoking cessation plan on the day of the event.
This message this year is . . . ‘Quitting smoking isn’t easy. It takes time. And a plan. You don’t have to stop smoking in one day. Start with day one.’
A few things your organization can do on November 15th at your place of employment to the support the 2018 Great American Smokeout:
- Provide fruit, juice, water and healthy snacks for everyone making an attempt to quit tobacco
- Organize a series of “movement breaks” or a walking club at lunchtime
- Ask former smokers to share their “how I quit” stories
- PA Free Quitline (1-800-QUIT-NOW) provides free coaching and quit smoking medications. Spread the word.
- The American Cancer Society has an assortment of excellent FREE resources for the 2018 Great American Smokeout. Print, post and share! Click here to explore: 2018 GASO Toolkit
The Smoke-Free Philly team is available to answer your FAQ’s about tobacco, e-cigs, vaping, etc. If you have questions, please contact email@example.com.